Flipboard creates interactive digital magazines on your iPad based on your selection of social media feeds – from news websites, Twitter, Google Reader, blogs, Flickr, Facebook, Instagram, and blogs. It brings reading to life, and it’s FREE!
Flipboard is useful for teachers interested in connecting, sharing, and learning with other teachers around the world (via their Personal Learning Networks); and has interesting applications in the (secondary) classrooms.
For: Teachers, Students (Secondary)
Cost: Free (Download here)
Requires WiFi?: Yes
Aggregate social networking and news feeds (teachers)
- Easily keep up to date with educational blogs in your Google (RSS) Reader
- Link to classroom Twitter / Facebook accounts to share links, pictures, and photos with students and their parents. Check the permissions of your school and district before using social networks with the students.
- Subscribe to newspapers around the world
- Explore texts & online media written in foreign languages
- Create virtual textbooks (example)
15 Fantastic Uses of Flipboard (Cool Cat Teacher blog)