GarageBand turns your iPad (iPhone, iPod) into a full-featured (touch-screen) recording studio, where you can play instruments, record music, and share songs / podcasts via iTunes or email. It includes a music library (including sound effects, instrumental loops); and was recently updated to allow up to four players play or jam together.
With the iPad Camera Connection Kit (around $10 on eBay) you can even connect and play your own instruments (guitar, keyboard) through USB in GarageBand, or record audio using a USB microphone headset. Garageband is suitable for beginning to advanced users, although it takes time to learn its full potential.
GarageBand for iPad is ideal for music, songwriting, podcasting, or simply jamming with your own (virtual) band! It truly is a must-have app!
For: Teachers, Students
Cost: $4.99 (Download Link)
Requires WiFi?: No
- Create alternative movie soundtracks
- Broadcast radio “news reports”
- Create educational raps & play music
- Click here for more great ideas & lessons
- The Ultimate Guide to GarageBand for Educators
- Update takes iPad GarageBand from Bread and Butter to Jam (Cult of Mac)
- Getting to Know GarageBand (Great tips)
- Beyond GarageBand – Music Education & iPads
- 9 Things You Didn’t Know about GarageBand
- Making a Podcast with GarageBand
- Teaching with Technology – Garageband
- How to Back Up Your Songs in GarageBand
- Music Tech for Teachers – Garageband
- Using GarageBand in Education
- List of Music Education iPad Apps (For Music Teachers)
- A Drum Kit Tutorial for GarageBand
Excellent GarageBand Video Tutorial (40 mins)