Edmodo is a private social networking site where teachers, students, and parents can connect, engage and learn; taking learning beyond the classroom walls.
Edmodo has advanced privacy settings built in, making it a very safe, secure, (and free) platform for schools. Its’ visual similarity to Facebook makes it extremely user-friendly for teachers and students of all ages; and isn’t blocked in most school systems.
For: Teachers, Students, Parents
Requires WiFi?: Yes
- Easily manage grades, projects, surveys, and student discussion topics
- Share worksamples, videos, pictures of classroom activities with parents (through their child’s profile)
- Help (absent) students keep up-to-date with what’s happening in school
- Create collaborative stories, literature circles, book clubs, participate in global projects (example)
- Provide stimulus for improving writing skills
- Create virtual exhibitions, museum scavenger hunts
- Teachers can join professional learning communities in areas of interest (e.g. education technology, school administration)
- And MUCH more!
- Edmodo Livebinder
- Edmodo – Extending Learning Beyond the Classroom
- Edmodo – A Teacher’s Perspective
- 4 Edmodo Best Practices Every Teacher Should Follow
- EdmodoCon2011: Educator Toolkit and Recorded Sessions
- Edmodo Tutorials
- Edmodo made easy (video)
- Chatting on Edmodo