Tips 2012 Professional Learning #21: TIPS Research

This blog is part of the professional learning for research that I am doing with teachers in schools. It is important that we do applied research on our practices. When doing research involving students it is very important that ethical processes and procedures are followed.There are different processes and guidelines that need to be followed in different countries and educational systems. I suggest that before you start on a research project, take time to find out about the ethics processes and the permissions you have to have to proceed in your educational system. If you are not sure contact the department of education, a university or a local research institute who will guide you through the correct procedures.

The research that I do goes through rigorous procedures to ensure it meets the ethical guidelines for research, these mandated for research projects involving human participants in Australia. Before any data is gathered the research project has been reviewed and approved by the University Ethics Committee. My research has also met the requirements for research in the schooling systems in Western Australia, namely the department of Education and Catholic Education. It has also received the approval of the school managers and prinicipals of the schools involved. Here is a short 3 minute video which gives explains the TIPS research project phase 1.

I am now working on the TIPS research project phase 2 involving advanced professional learning for teachers.